Monday, July 11, 2011

we're all going on a summer holiday: h is for happy summer edition

As you read this, I'll just about be getting off the plane to be welcomed by a warm breeze and sun filled sky on an island far from here. I'll be touching down in Paleokastritsa, Corfu for a week of relaxation, trance-like book reading and sun drenched fun. Sorry, didn't mean to rub it in! Whilst I was crazy excited for this holiday, I realised I couldn't leave Little V alone so I searched for some reliable blogsitters to keep her company. Thankfully, I found some of the best in the biz so prepare to sit back and relax as Viva welcomes a load of friendly faces this coming week. In dedication to my holiday, all this weeks posts are going to be surrounding various topics regarding jet setting so sit back, relax and put your sun cream on because it's gunna be a lot of fun! The week begins as it usually does with a dose of happiness, here, some of my favourite ladies discuss the 5 things they love about summer holidays. I even let the lovely Ayden explain her choices. Enjoy! Who do you agree with the most? What things do you love about summer holidays?



Lyzi from being little 


 
 




(photos c/o Lyzi)


Rosie from A Rosie Outlook 




 



(photos via weheartit)


Ayden from Little blog of horrors 








Ayden explains:
1) I am such a sucker in the fact that I LOVE the time chilling at the airport before going on holiday. Getting a Starbucks, a severely overpriced magazine and share size bag of crisps from WHSmiths never fails to make me smile. I love going through security, boarding the plane, inspecting what's in the pocket in front of me (even though its the same every bloody time) kicking my shoes off (sorry neighbours, my feet certainly stink) watching a movie or listening to my ipod, and turning my phone off for the flight. All these things just scream IT'S FINALLY HOLIDAY TIME, and all my troubles melt away as I know I am going to be disappearing away from the busy hustles and bustles of life for a short period of time.

2) Pretty self explanatory, but I only learned to swim 'properly' on this holiday pictured (Tunisia 2008) and so had never really ever made the most of pool time up until then. Lying by the pool is awesome, but every so often when it gets too hot, jumping in is the best feeling ever! Now that I can properly swim and tread water comfortably, I don't need to linger by the sides in the shallow end. A high school musical style jump right in there (without the fear of drowning) is definitely much more fun.

3) I'd say I'm more a beach girl rather than a pool lover. In this holiday pictured (Algarve 2009) myself and my boyfriend David had such a laugh down at the beach every day. Surfing, beach volleyball, and burying David in the sand are my top three things to do at the beach (he might beg to differ with that last one) We are going to be spending a lot of time at the beach on our holiday in Fuerteventura this month, and surfing in the (almost) warm water is going to be so good in comparison to Scotland's ice cold waves.

4) Last summer David and I went inter-railing around Europe for a month, and as well as seeing lots of big cities we also got to see quite a few gems just off the beaten track. This is one of my most favourite pictures from that trip, when we went swimming in Lake Bled, Slovenia. It was so quiet and calm, and really the most beautiful place I have ever been to.



5) I always feel a bit down when I come back from a holiday (who doesn't?) and I think it's mainly withdrawal symptoms from not getting to spend as much time with the person you were with anymore. I don't live anywhere near my home town these days, so getting to spend more than a few days at once with my family or closest friends is a real luxury. On the other hand, the month long trip I did with David last summer was the longest time we'd spent together as a couple. We live together now, and have been going out for nearly 3 years but at the time seeing each other every single day for 30 days straight was something we had never done before. The travelling was tiring, and stressful at times. It did test us as a couple, but also made us closer than we had ever been before. David took the above picture on one of our last few days of the whole trip when we were in Paris. I was a grumpy sod that day, and to wake up from a nap and see this picture on the camera made me feel like a very lucky girl indeed :)


Thanks for reading. What do you love most about holidays? I'll be back on Wednesday with some fellow bloggers' ultimate summer playlists!

No comments:

Post a Comment