I had been telling my friends about a yoga class I found a at the gay church-- just a few blocks east of my house. We decided it would be a good idea to all get together and check it out. Yesterday was our first class. On the way there, I mentioned I had only ever done yoga once--- when I was 8 months pregnant. Both friends were very surprised by this, they figured, out of everyone, I would be the one to be really into yoga. Cause.. you know... I'm obviously "into that kind of thing" aka "a granola eating hippie."
Yoga was great. Really great. In the down time between poses-- in the time where you just lay there on your back with your palms open: I was relaxed. It was the most quiet time I've had in over 9 months. Eyes closed or eyes open: it didn't matter. I could just lay there at peace. My mind never turns off-- I'm certain I am not capable of shutting off, but it was so nice to just have the opportunity to try. Laying there within my own thoughts and without worrying about anything else gave me the opportunity to reflect on my life lately. It gave me the chance to to feel extra grateful again. I lay there on my back thinking about my daughter, my family, my friends, feeling gratitude towards everything. Knowing at home: I have a beautiful, healthy, and happy daughter. I have a partner who loves me and my daughter, who is with her while I have my down time and I knew there was no need to worry, because she is happy with him and more importantly: safe with him. I have a family I can count on and I can look to for support. &I have friends who are like family.
I thought a lot about child birth during yoga... crazy maybe, but I thought about my body and all that it is capable of. I thought about wanting more from it: more strength, power, and flexibility. I've always wanted to work on it more, but have never really done so, but after yesterday, I can't wait to go back. I need to go back. I look forward to seeing what more I am capable of.
What makes people feel they need to label themselves, I'm not sure. I do love the Grateful Dead, I love camping out at music festivals, I love nature, I only eat natural and organic foods, I cloth diaper, I refuse to use paper napkins, towels, or plates, I promote babywearing, breast-feeding is the only choice for my child, I'm vegan, etc etc. So, while I do understand why people place me in this "hippie" category--- because I do love and live in a lot of that "hippie shit", I would never label myself as a "hippie". I hate labels-- I hate self labeling. It's silly. I am who I am. (I am woman, hear me roar)
I guess what I'm saying is, I hate the idea of being labeled a certain way because of a few small interests I have, or activities I practice.... &my new adventure in yoga may give people even more reason to label me a "hippie", but that's okay. I'll take it, especially: if that means I can find some peace two times a week. Especially after hard &trying days like today, it's nice to have that time just to reflect.
Please know: I don't like granola. I'll eat it, but I don't enjoy it.
Also know: I hate phish.
Also know: I love my friends &when they call me a hippie I know they do it with love. <3
A note from Eric: I love my hippie granola eating girlfriend and she loves my pork loving self, so she is not that hippie-ish.
Marlowe on the other hand is a total hippie, she owns tie-dye shirts (plural) and goes to the store barefoot. Damn hippie!
Also, they reset topbabyblogs today, so if you enjoy this blog, maybe click the vote box and give us a little vote. The support you have given us since the beginning of this blog has been incredible. No pressure, I'd just like to be on the first page for our third time around :)
Yoga was great. Really great. In the down time between poses-- in the time where you just lay there on your back with your palms open: I was relaxed. It was the most quiet time I've had in over 9 months. Eyes closed or eyes open: it didn't matter. I could just lay there at peace. My mind never turns off-- I'm certain I am not capable of shutting off, but it was so nice to just have the opportunity to try. Laying there within my own thoughts and without worrying about anything else gave me the opportunity to reflect on my life lately. It gave me the chance to to feel extra grateful again. I lay there on my back thinking about my daughter, my family, my friends, feeling gratitude towards everything. Knowing at home: I have a beautiful, healthy, and happy daughter. I have a partner who loves me and my daughter, who is with her while I have my down time and I knew there was no need to worry, because she is happy with him and more importantly: safe with him. I have a family I can count on and I can look to for support. &I have friends who are like family.
I thought a lot about child birth during yoga... crazy maybe, but I thought about my body and all that it is capable of. I thought about wanting more from it: more strength, power, and flexibility. I've always wanted to work on it more, but have never really done so, but after yesterday, I can't wait to go back. I need to go back. I look forward to seeing what more I am capable of.
What makes people feel they need to label themselves, I'm not sure. I do love the Grateful Dead, I love camping out at music festivals, I love nature, I only eat natural and organic foods, I cloth diaper, I refuse to use paper napkins, towels, or plates, I promote babywearing, breast-feeding is the only choice for my child, I'm vegan, etc etc. So, while I do understand why people place me in this "hippie" category--- because I do love and live in a lot of that "hippie shit", I would never label myself as a "hippie". I hate labels-- I hate self labeling. It's silly. I am who I am. (I am woman, hear me roar)
I guess what I'm saying is, I hate the idea of being labeled a certain way because of a few small interests I have, or activities I practice.... &my new adventure in yoga may give people even more reason to label me a "hippie", but that's okay. I'll take it, especially: if that means I can find some peace two times a week. Especially after hard &trying days like today, it's nice to have that time just to reflect.
Please know: I don't like granola. I'll eat it, but I don't enjoy it.
Also know: I hate phish.
Also know: I love my friends &when they call me a hippie I know they do it with love. <3
A note from Eric: I love my hippie granola eating girlfriend and she loves my pork loving self, so she is not that hippie-ish.
Marlowe on the other hand is a total hippie, she owns tie-dye shirts (plural) and goes to the store barefoot. Damn hippie!
Also, they reset topbabyblogs today, so if you enjoy this blog, maybe click the vote box and give us a little vote. The support you have given us since the beginning of this blog has been incredible. No pressure, I'd just like to be on the first page for our third time around :)
No comments:
Post a Comment