Friday, April 15, 2011

Diet Water - Recipe {Chickpea Patty}

Diet Water
This is a really simple recipe for a chickpea patty. It's incredibly easy, vegan, and there are 100 different variations you can try. I almost always prefer to have my protein via bean or lentil dishes, but having a little protein patty is always a nice change. 

The main things you need are: chickpeas, spices, flour (not shown), &bread crumbs (not shown). You an choose what extra veggies you add or don't add from there. I always add onion and garlic. I added mushrooms, spring onion, and carrot in an attempt to clean out my fridge a bit before vacation. It's really hard to go wrong with veggie choices: you can also add: peas, carrots, potatoes, peppers, whatever as long as there isn't too much moisture and you can bind and hold the patty together. 
P1150611
P1150614
P1150619
Shred carrots. Combine onion, garlic, and mushrooms in my food processor, but you can just as easily do all this by hand too. 
P1150623
Chop/grind chickpeas. (you can mash them by hand too)
P1150625
Add herbs and spices. Generous amounts of: salt, pepper, fresh herbs (I used: basil, oregano, and thyme). Spices will depend on what you are pairing your patty with. I used: cumin, chili, paprika, and garam-masala. You can do this with Indian spices or more Italian as well.
P1150629
P1150634
Combine all ingredients. 
P1150637
Add bread crumbs and flour and combine. Amounts will vary depending on the veggies you added. I added 3 tablespoons of flour and 3 tablespoons breadcrumbs.
P1150639
P1150640
Form patties.
P1150647
What works best for me is to saute in generous amounts of oil over a med high heat until crisp and browned on each side. Then bake in the oven for about 10 to 15 minutes at 400 degrees. I'm sure you could just fry in more oil or exclusively bake if you prefer. Just be gentle! Don't toss it around so much and make it fall apart!
P1150707
Top with gravy or toss on a bun with some fixings and enjoy.
(yes that is purple coleslaw. nom nom nom)

This is also great to individually wrap and refrigerate/freeze until a later date:
P1150649

 "fg fxv" -Marlowe
If you wouldn't mind sending us a vote while we're away, we would love it :)
Vote For Us @ TopBabyBlogs.Com - A Top Baby Blog List By topbabyblogs.com

Happy weekend everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment