You could say my kitchen was a bit bare after our trip to Atlanta. I used up the last bit of food when we returned to make soups and baby food and was left with only one potato and one garlic. (Nom?) So we made a trip to Whole Foods in the middle of the day while Eric was not at work (a whole other story) and I stocked up. I splurged a bit... I overloaded on canned goods and bought all the extra veggies I've been craving lately. But regardless, this will give you an idea of a typical shopping trip &what my pantry usually/hopefully looks like. I have my staple items and then I buy any extra according to what meals I might like to make that week.
Produce:
Two to three onions (depending on size) one red one sweet. Cabbage (sometimes. I was craving coleslaw again this week). Cilantro. Grape/cherry tomatoes. Two or three plum tomatoes. Potatoes. Lemons (I bought a bag this week for lemonade. I usually only buy two or three). Avocados: four. One package of mushrooms. One small bag of carrots. One cucumber. Green onions. Kale. And the biggest box of strawberries ever (it was only a dollar more than the smaller box). (This weeks extra items: cabbage, eggplant, artichoke, yams, strawberries)
Pantry:
This is an overload of canned goods. But I try to always have: garbanzo beans, black beans, some other sort of bean (in this case pinto), canned corn. Rice. Split peas. Red lentils (for me). Green lentils (for Jerry). A dry bean mix (that I'll probably never use). Two cans Muirs brand orgnaic whole peeled tomatoes... Two cans crushed. Two to three cans tomato paste.
Teas. Peanut butter. Popcorn. Nutritional yeast. Oats. Chocolate protein powder. Cocoa powder. Coconut milk (to make ice cream). Agave. Rice cereal. Cereal (sometimes).
Pastas. Extra olive oil (I also have canola and coconut oil in my spice cabinet). Bread crumbs (for the times I don't have bread). Quinoa (that I will never use. My mom brought &left it here). Couscous. Chocolate chips (cookies nom.) Flours.
Other refrigerated items: Almond milk. Earth balance vegan butter. Tofutti cream cheese. A block of tofu. Sometimes a plain soy yogurt depending on meals I have planned.
Other frozen items: Corn. Peas. Fruits (either for Marlowe or smoothies). Bagels (yep, I freeze em)
Other: Oils. Vinegars. Half a loaf of sourdough. Sliced bread (for peanut butter sandwiches). Tortillas. Tortilla chips. Raw cashews.
Shopping list and totals:
(Keep in mind, A lot of this food is split with Eric during dinner meals.)
Basics
2.99 potatoes (a TON)
2.63 two red onions
2.12 tomatoes three
3.99 package of grape tomatoes
1.77 limes three
.79 cucumber
.65 garlic
1.49 green onion
2.99 package of mushrooms
2.49 bag of carrots
.86 green pepper
1.69 small can diced tomato
1.29 can tomato paste
2.39 large can whole tomato
2.39 large can crushed tomato
1.39 can garbanzo
1.39 can garbanzo
1.39 can blackbeans
1.39 can blackbeans
3.99 loaf of sourdough
4.29 package of vegan cheese
.75 soy yogurt
1.99 block of tofu
3.29 tofutti cream cheese
50.04$
Extras this week:
3.86 eggplant
5.99 two pound bag of lemons (yes thats a lot. It's lemonade time!)
2.96 cabbage
10.00 avocados
4.08 yams
6.49 two pound container strawberries
33.38$
Grand total: 83.78$$
83.78 for about a two weeks worth of food. This includes Eric too. He usually dines at my place. Considering the main total is more around 50$ and everything else I buy is just extras for special meals I want... I think thats pretty good. 25$ a week. This varies depending on when I run out of grains (rice, cereal, couscous), or milks (2.99$).....
And yes, thats 25$ a week shopping (95+%) organic.
Speaking of food,
Don't forget:
Tomorrow is your last chance to enter the Bakesalery giveaway!
Don't forget:
Tomorrow is your last chance to enter the Bakesalery giveaway!
PS. I've gotten a lot of positive feedback from people trying out the chickpea patty recipe! I'm glad you guys enjoyed them! :)
Next week: Meals prepared during the week.
Next week: Meals prepared during the week.
No comments:
Post a Comment