Friday, March 30, 2012

Diet Water: Simple & Easy Black Bean Soup Recipe

Hello!
So....I'm feeling A LOT better. It's kinda awesome. Thanks for all the feel better wishes! Marlowe, is of course feeling better too... she started picking up long before me :) I've had this post (well, half of it) sitting around for a while now and I completely forgot about it. I know, I'm the worst at posting recipes. Well, in general, I've just been the worst at blogging lately. With my mom has been in town, I've been able to work all these extra, longer and wonky hours in the kitchen, on the truck, and catering and whatnot. That, plus being sick, plus a million other fun things has thrown off my whole life sceduling-groove. But whatever! It's friday! And I've got a soup recipe! A really, really, simple and delicious soup recipe. 
photo
Ingredients: 
1 sweet onion
1 celery stalk
peppers
mushrooms
few cloves of garlic
plum tomato or a few cherry/grape tomatoes
green onion
one to two cans of black beans (you can obviously used dried, soaked and ready beans too. I stick to cans out of convenience sake and my inability to get a decent consistency from dried beans)
garlic (as many of as few cloves as you would like)
vegetable stock or water
fresh: cilantro, oregano, and thyme
spices: cumin, chili flake, smoked paprika, hot paprika, coriander

Chop everything. You're going to add the layers of chopped vegetables to the pot in sections, cooking each group down, then adding more. The mushrooms are completely optional. I like to add them for a bit more of an earthy touch, plus it's an extra vegetable, and you can't go wrong adding some more healthy to your dish :)  This dish is low on spice because I've got to feed the little one too, but if you want to kick it up a notch, then add some jalepeno to the recipe. Chop everything as you cook or prep it all first and cook it after--- whatever works for you-- either way this is a quick meal!
photo
First set of vegetables: onion, celery, mushrooms, peppers. You should have a pot heated, on the stove, with olive oil. Dice vegetables and add them to pot.  (If you are adding jalepeno or another spicy peppers, add them in here)
photo
While you are sautéing, chop tomatoes and slice garlic. Add to pot.
photo
Still sautéing, chop green onion and fresh herbs. (I used two to three times this amount of herbs)
photo
Everything should be pretty cooked down at this point. Add green onion and herbs. (^^see lots of herbs oregano and cilantro and especially key)
photo
Add spices. Heavy on the cumin (at least a hefty tablespoon). And a fair amount of paprika, chili, and coriander. Salt and pepper too. Mix, stir, blend. 
photo
Add black beans. Amount of black beans will be dependent on how many veggies you've added and your preference to ratio. I usually use two cans, but one works fine too. Add stock or water and bring to simmer. Taste, and season. Allow to simmer for about ten minutes... and that's it! You're done.... and your soup is done too! 

photo
Ladle in bowl. Serve with smoked paprika garlic toast and BAM you've got a delicious party. 

*Other pairing options: avocado toast or sweet plantain toast.
*To make this more toddler friendly, I spoon some over rice, with-holding as much liquid as possible :)


Happy Friday everyone! I've got today off and I'm looking forward to relaxing :) Hope everyone has a wonderful (and delicious) weekend!


napkins on right c/o dot and army ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment