Thursday, August 4, 2011

Diet Water - Recipe {Lentil Fritters}

Diet Water

Lentil fritters: NOM. These little fried protein fritters are delicious. It's a favorite of mine at the Indian restaurant down the street. I only go out once, maybe twice every two weeks, but even still, I've been trying to cut back (except right now, I'm on vacation!!). I was excited to make these the other day and was surprised to find how incredibly easy they were to make!  (sorry in advance for not having proper quantities of the ingredients. I'm always one to just wing it--- and I didn't know if it would actually work or not, so I didn't measure anything). 

Ingredients
lentils (I'm not sure what kind they use at the restaurant, I went with red lentils)
one onion
cilantro (lots of it)
serrano pepper (or whatever type of spicy pepper you prefer)
ginger (about one one to two tablespoons)
salt (to taste)
indian spices (coriander, curry, whatever. these are all optional. I ended up adding a tandoori paste that was out from naan pizza)
frying oil. (coconut or canola work well)

How to: 
P1200665
soak lentils in water for about one to two hours. 
P1200667
grind in food processor
P1200669
add (roughly chopped) onion, pepper, cilantro, salt, and grated ginger to the batch. I used one pepper.... next time I plan on using two.. I like things on the spicier side. If you're going to add any spices, add them now.
P1200671
grind together. feel free to leave pieces of onion or cilantro... or grind it smooth :)
P1200672
Scoop out a small amount and form ball. I was nervous when I did this, the mixture felt a bit wet and I was worried about falling apart.... but it worked great.... so wet is good.
(sorry about the blurry picture)
P1200673
drop in hot oil. There was enough oil to come up about half way up on the ball. 
P1200676
add more delicious friends and let fry.
P1200677
flip the fritters once the bottoms brown. You want crispy and delicious.
P1200679
scoop crispy fritters on plate. serve immediately. 

How easy is that? 
P1200154
Works well as an appetizer or with any Indian dish, such as: Naan pizza.  Also, make sure you have a dipping sauce. We gobbled them up with the mango chutney I had canned from this recipe


No comments:

Post a Comment