Monday, July 11, 2011

A Play Tent For Marlowe, For Me.

Remember that play area project for Marlowe that I mentioned on Friday? Well it's completed and perfect.  I am so incredibly pleased with the results. I would love to say: it's done, homemade with love, by Eric and I, for Marlowe, and she loves it. But of course, she doesn't. She couldn't care less about the tent. Who am I kidding, the project was for me. This would have been my dream as a child: a bright colorful tent to play, read, and dream in. I made forts constantly; indoors, outdoors, at friends, in my room, under tables, in between trees, wherever I could. To have a tent like this, would have brought me so much joy. Marlowe is only nine (and a half) months old. Who knows what her dreams are and will be... the kid can't even speak one word yet, but when she does, and she has simple, but brilliant ideas (like colorful play tents in the middle of her room), I will make those dreams and ideas come true. Well, as many as them as I can. &That's not to say I will give her all the toys in the world, or a pony, or a trampoline on command, but there are things (like play tents) that I can make with little to no money that can bring a child a lot of joy (at least I hope and think simple pleasures still exists in kids). Thats what a mother (and father) does. All those childhood dreams we wished for ourselves, we fulfill for our children. The life my mother wanted she gives to me. The life my father wanted, he gives to me. Now I am giving that life to Marlowe the very best I can, just like my parents do for me. For now, this is my little joyful tent, for Marlowe, for me. Hopefully soon she will realize how sweet this little tent is and how many imaginative adventures one can have hidden underneath a flower-filled tent. I have confidence she will love it, just as I do.

P1200038
P1200037
P1200057
P1190932
P1200033

It was incredibly simple. We used this for the basic idea:

I'm not sure if that tent was more for show or for more careful children, but there was no way that would be sturdy enough for a quick and clumsy nine month old to be crawling around near. Instead of one dowel down the top and center, we used three. Two across each side for an extra support. We also used another piece of wood for a back support. and instead of screws and nails, added more holes and placed it on the inside of the structure--- without this piece the tent legs would have been constantly falling and moving out of place-- no matter how tight the dowels were in place. We also added two screws (the only screws we used for this project) at the very top (in front) and wrapped thin rope to hold the front legs in place, to keep them from sliding. For the tent cover: I used a vintage table cloth that I found while pregnant at a consignment store down the street. I had been (impatiently) waiting for the perfect project to use it in my home. Instead of elastic to hold the cover in place, I opted to sew fabric ties to hold the tent in place, which gave me a nice opportunity to hide the extra dowels :) Simple enough: a really brilliant idea, tweaked and turned into a 100% more sturdy, beautiful structure.

By the way, when I say "we" I mean: "Eric". He did the measuring and hole drilling. I did the ocd picking and choosing and fabric cover. BUT, if I had the wood tools he has, I totally could have done this myself. But its a ton better with both of us working on it, dontcha think? :)

P1190952
P1190959
string to hold the front legs from sliding
P1200005
a little sewing mishap
P1200029
an extra back beam
P1200023
extra dowels along the side, for extra support. nicely hidden away. 
P1200021
I love it.

It was definitely a good weekend. I'm also incredibly pleased to say I  was also able to finish some other small handmade gifts and items, along with this bigger project. There was lots of yummy (not so healthy) food and finally some sunny weather. I hope you all also had a wonderful weekend :)
P1200042

No comments:

Post a Comment