Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Recipe: Vegan Shepards Pie

I've been trying to incorporate more vegan food and recipes into my little blog and I would like to be plan a weekly recipe to share on ohdeardrea. "Meatless Mondays" would be the obvious choice that makes the most sense, but it is now Tuesday. And I am not the most structured blogger for set-up-scheduled posts (I like my freedom). So let's just agree that Tuesday is the new Monday and "Meatless Tuesdays" is a brilliant idea (for this week).

Shepard's pie is wonderful. Why? Because: It's incredibly simple, filling, comforting, and great for leftovers. I always try to stay away from mock meat, but sometimes it really is easier. But, so you know, I've also made this dish with tvp and tempeh--- both of those just take a bit more time and patience... which I did not have Saturday. There are a million variations to shepard's pie, but this is how I make it, because it makes me feel at home:
P1130043
Wash and cut potatoes into similar size pieces. Peel em' if you like, but I prefer the skins. (&I HATE peeling potatoes.) Place in pot of water. Bring to low boil and cook until nice and soft. 
P1130055
Drain water. Mash potatoes. Whip a large amount of milk (I use almond) and butter (I use vegan earth balance) into potatoes. Salt and pepper to taste.
Set aside. 

P1130045
Chop veggies. I had mushrooms, red onion, and carrots in my fridge. So, that's what got used. I did not have garlic &it was sad, but not heartbreaking since the meal still came out delicious.
P1130048
Saute in olive oil over a medium heat. Add fresh some fresh herbs if you've got em. 
P1130050
Pour in some red wine and let it cook down. I also added in spices: cumin, oregano, thyme, and a bit of chili. 
P1130053
Add in meat, mock-meat, or protein of your choice. I used: vegan boca crumbles. I then added in a bit of frozen peas and a bit of vegetable stock to add more moisture to the "meat". Cook and stir for a bit longer.
P1130062
Layer in an oven friendly dish. 
P1130068
I also have a layer of canned corn because this is how my grandma made it for me as a child &grandma knows what's up. 
P1130072
Top with a layer of potatoes. I then poured a little melted butter on top and sprinkled nutritional yeast on the top. (Not necessary, unless you want to be a bit of a fatty mc fat fat that day). Place under broiler until the top is a crisp golden brown.
P1130082
Serve and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment