I may not celebrate Thanksgiving but this year more than ever I've felt the need to think about the sentiment behind it and make myself realise just how grateful I should be for my life at the moment.
I'll be the first to admit that in previous years I've suffered from depression and had to reach out for help. I find it easy to connect myself to negative emotions and self doubt and find myself wishing for a better life. Wishing for stability. I can sometimes become complacent and look at what other people have and wish I was that inspiring, courageous or fun. I wish I could wake up next to the one I love every day just like them. I wish I could have the confidence that they present through their beaming smiles and gorgeous looks. I wish I could have perfect health and not have to worry about whether or not I've remembered my tablets that day.
I get so caught up in what I wish for that I rarely see the life right in front of me. I've got an amazing mother who supports me in everything I wish to do accomplish and everything I've done. I've got a sister who will occasionally quietly admit that she looks up to me and appreciates my company. Of course, I've got some family that I find a complete disappointment but I shouldn't let that get me down. I've got a good set of friends both in the 'real world' and through social networking. I've found some of the nicest people through this blog and I hope that these are friends for the considerable future. I'm also extremely thankful for my relationship. I know I probably come across as dependant upon it but that's certainly not the case. The men I've come across in my life had made me afraid of relationships and afraid of becoming a punchbag in a loveless relationship. My boyfriend has faded all of these fears away. I'm so lucky to be with someone that thinks of me without being prompted. I'm so lucky and thankful that I've got someone to share my life with at the moment.
Of course, I can look into everything I've got planned and take comfort in the fact that I've got so much to look forward to and some amazing memories to make. However, from this moment on I'm going to try and be content with what's happening in the present. What's happening right now. I'm thankful for the opportunities I've had, am having and will have. I'm just going to accept that things have been sent in life to try me - some of them haven't been pleasant but I need to focus on the fact that I've got through them and how thankful I am that it's turned me into a stronger and hopefully better person.
I'm human. Of course I'm going to wish I had a relatively perfect life and could guarantee my happiness but that's not the case so I'm just going to make the most of what I have. I'm thankful for the love and support I get each day. I'm thankful for the people I get to share my life with. I'm thankful for finding him and falling somewhat head over heels. I'm thankful for the basics that I usually take for granted - I'm looking at you radiator. I'm thankful for my achievements and the life I've made for myself so far. I'm thankful for finding my job and enjoying every moment of it - not many people can say that. I'm thankful for my distinguishing features and how they set me apart from everyone else. I'm thankful for you readers - I never thought people would care for what I have to say.
I'm thankful for being able to feel thankful.
It's not something I find easy at times.
*What are you guys thankful for at the moment? Regardless of whether or not you celebrate Thanksgiving I think it's definitely got ideas behind it that we should remind ourselves of on a regular basis. I hope this post hasn't proved to be depressing or whatever. I certainly didn't want it to be. Leave a comment and let me know what you think. Have a lovely Thanksgiving and I'll see you tomorrow for 'Friday Favourites'.
No comments:
Post a Comment